Sunday, May 6, 2018

REVIEW: Murder in the Locked Library

Murder in the Locked Library
Author: Ellery Adams

Jane Steward is the owner of Storyton Hall, and guardian of its secrets. The Hall is a retreat for the bookish crowd...professors, book collectors, experts and those who love to read. To make the experience even more sublime for guests, construction is starting on a spa. Guests will be pampered and spoiled. Plans come to a halt suddenly, however, when old bones are found by the construction crew excavating the new building site. And with the old bones is a small box containing a very damaged old book. The book is so damaged it's impossible to tell what it once was. Luckily a group of rare book experts are coming to Storyton Hall for a conference. Jane plans to show them the ruined book and ask if they can ascertain what title it was and why someone might have been buried on the grounds with it. When a guest at the conference drops dead just after revealing facts about the book, Jane realizes there might be more to the story than just a century old murder and a damaged book.

This is the first book in the Book Retreat Mystery series that I have read. Murder in the Locked Library is the 4th book in the series. It wasn't necessary to have read the earlier books to enjoy the story, but I would have understood the characters and the back story of Storyton Hall a bit better if I had read the earlier books first. The background story of the Hall is so creative and intriguing. I have definitely moved the series up on my tbr list to start reading ASAP. This book has a bit of the Indiana Jones/Librarians sort of feel to it (cozy mystery style, of course).

I liked Jane Steward as a main character. Her twin sons add some shenannigans and the other supporting characters are quirky and interesting in a way befitting the background theme. I think when I go back and start reading from the start of the series I will understand her and the other characters a bit better. I like the idea of Jane being guardian of the Hall and its secret book collection. It's a very unique premise for a cozy series. I liked the front cover art for this book. I could definitely sink into one of those chairs and relax with a book!

The story unfolded at a good pace with lots of suspects and interesting clues. The story definitely kept my interest the entire time! I am definitely backtracking to read the entire series, and am anxiously waiting new books in the series! I'm really never disappointed by any book by Ellery Adams. Her mystery novels are always great! Adams also writes the Books by the Bay and the Charmed Pie Shoppe series, plus The Secret Book & Scone Society.

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment