Wednesday, May 16, 2018

REVIEW: The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale
Author: Margaret Atwood

I have a personal rule that I follow: If a movie or television show is based on book and I haven't yet read it, I have to read the story before I can watch it on film. With very few exceptions, I have always found the book version to far surpass any attempts at movie/television adaptations. The film versions either cut out major plot points, characters and events or veer so far from the original story as to make it almost unrecognizable. The Handmaid's Tale is one of those books that have been on my "I really want to read this'' list for a long time, but I avoided it because I knew the story would be dark and distressing. This year I challenged myself to read more of these books that have been lurking on my tbr for one reason or another and with Hulu making a Handmaid's Tale series.....I finally took a deep breath and dived in.

I was right -- this story is dark and distressing. But it's also interesting and well-written. I'm glad I finally took the time to read it.

Offred has lost everything from Before -- her husband, her daughter, her old life, her mother, her friends, her freedom, even her name.....everything from Before is gone. The United States is now the Republic of Gilead. They waged a terrorist attack, killing the president, Congress, anyone who got in their way....and they took over. The Republic says it has freed women by removing immodesty, overt sexuality, vanity, any activities that prevent them from fulfilling their natural purpose. Those who rebel or break the rules are severely punished. Life is now orderly, controlled and proper. Offred is forced to wear red robes and live within the household of a Commander. She is a vessel....her purpose is to conceive a child that will be given over to the Commander's wife. She recounts her memories of Before, her thoughts about her child, her husband, her life that are now gone, and her present circumstances. She just wants to live....no matter what horrors are in her life now.

I don't usually enjoy stories that flip around in time...jumping forward, jumping back, flip, flip, flop. But, Atwood does it well. In The Handmaid's Tale, it works. Offred recounts memories of her life with her husband Luke and her love for her daughter. She also talks about things that happened when her life first changed. She remembers friends and talks about seeing them again after everything happened. I felt concern and sympathy for her....and for the other women. And it also made me feel sympathy for women who live under similar circumstances in areas of the world now. No power. No voice. I wouldn't survive it.

The ending of the book is a bit abrupt and strange...but it works. I'm not going to include any spoilers. Read or listen to the book. :)

All in all, I enjoyed the story. It is heavy....and dark....and scary. There were points where it was difficult for me to continue, but that just means the tale was well told. I'm definitely going to read more by Margaret Atwood. She has mad skills!

Now I really need to go read something much lighter......  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment