Wednesday, February 12, 2020

REVIEW: The Chill

The Chill
Author: Scott Carson

An update New York village was flooded 75 years ago for a reservoir project. There are legends about the strange things that happen in the Dead Waters...the area where you can still see the burnt out submerged buildings that used to be Galesburg. But it's more than that.....an evil....a strange heaviness that is more than just the leftovers of a flooded village.

I'm a sucker for stories about submerged towns. There are so many urban legends surrounding reservoir projects and submerged towns, especially if the dam has not been properly maintained. Portions of this story were incredibly creepy and spooky....but at times the pacing dragged a bit. The story lost my attention at times because it just moved too slowly or went on too long...I'm not quite sure which it is...or if it's a mix of both.

I love the front cover art! It sets the creepy atmosphere for this supernatural horror/disaster story.

All in all, an entertaining read, even if it did drag a bit at times. This is the first book by Scott Carson (a pen name for author Michael Koryta) that I've read. I will definitely be reading more by this author. Very creative, interesting concept!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment