Tuesday, February 25, 2020

REVIEW: Soot

Soot
Author: Dan Vyleta

The basic premise of this series made me want to enjoy this story. When I first requested a review copy of this book, I did not realize it was a follow-up to an earlier novel, Smoke. I immediately backtracked a bit...and read Smoke. Then came back to this sequel. While some of the original characters returned in this newest story, most of the magic and power of the first book did not. The plot in places just seemed muddled and confusing, and the magical feel of the first story just didn't carry through into this sequel.

I enjoyed the first novel enough to give this series another go. I think I might enjoy this book more in audio format. So, once this is released, I'm going to listen to both books in audio....and see if that makes this story more enjoyable for me. Listening to a voice actor perform a story sometimes breathes some new life into a book that falls flat for me the first time. I liked Smoke enough to give this book a second chance at a later date. And, I will revise this review at that time.

So, at this point, I will just say that this sequel just didn't work for me. I never really engaged with the plot or the characters. Not every story is for every reader....and this one is just not for me. But I'm willing to let the smoke clear (see what I did there?) and try it again in audio format.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Doubleday. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment