Monday, February 3, 2020

REVIEW: Things in Jars

Things in Jars
Author: Jess Kidd

Bridie Devine is a female detective in Victorian London. The 6-year old daughter of Sir Edmund Berwick has been kidnapped. Like Bridie, little Christobel is not ordinary...the little girl reportedly has supernatural gifts. Unfortunately, the child's reputation brought her to the attention of an underworld group obsessed with finding and possessing oddities. Bridie is determined to save the little girl. Turns out it's going to be a very dark and oftentimes gruesome case....

Oh my! This book is a roller coaster ride through the strange and wonderful! Ghosts...abnormally large and bearded parlor maids...murder....mayhem....just an awesomely weird and mesmerizing story!

This is the first book by Jess Kidd that I have read. I will definitely be reading more of her work! This book is an awesome mix of mystery, humor and folklore. I'm curious to find out if Kidd's other books are this much fun to read!

The mystery is constructed perfectly. The characters are magnificently odd and quirky. The dark shadowy side of Victorian London definitely comes to life within this book. The story definitely kept my attention from start to finish. Very entertaining read!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment