Tuesday, March 9, 2021

REVIEW: The Burning Girls

 The Burning Girls
Author: C.J. Tudor


Chapel Croft has a dark history. 500 years of dark history, in fact. It all started when 8 protestants were burned at the stake in the 16th century. Sometimes old secrets don't go away, even after centuries. When a new vicar with a teenage daughter move to town, they discover that the townspeople have some strange and creepy traditions. Not only that, 30 years ago two local teenagers disappeared and were never seen again. And....just a month ago, the former vicar committed suicide. 

Creepy! And just the sort of dark, twisted, wonderful tale I have come to expect from C.J. Tudor! I've read 3 other books by her (The Chalk Man, Hiding Place and The Other People) and loved them all! 

This book turned into a binge read. I couldn't put the book down and ended up reading until 3 am to finish it! Great story! I'm not going to say much about the plot, as I don't want to accidentally give anything away. There were some hints early on as to the truth behind matters, but I was still glued to the words until the very end! 

Can't wait to discover what story she has to tell next! C.J. Tudor is rapidly becoming one of my favorite writers! I have the audio book of this story on hold at my local library because I want to read it again -- well, have it read to me anyway! I found it worthy of a re-visit! Then maybe I can pick up on some of the early hints that I might have missed! And, there is just something about having a suspenseful, creepy story read to me....it brings the atmosphere out full force! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Random House/Ballantine. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment