Friday, March 12, 2021

REVIEW: Mountain Man - The Hospital

 Mountain Man: The Hospital
Author: Keith C. Blackmore


This is a prequel to the Mountain Man series. I've been very curious about these books, since I love zombie stories. This freebie prequel was hanging out in my Audible library, so I decided the best place to start is at the very beginning. 

This is the first book by Keith Blackmore I've read. I enjoyed the awesome zombie story, but also the gritty reality of this prequel tale. Augustus "Gus'' Berry scavenges for supplies where he can and is very careful. This time, he scouts out a hospital building. He's dressed for a supply run and armed....  The first trip into the abandoned hospital nets him a good bit of supplies....so he decides to make a second trip. The second trip does not go as smoothly as the first.....and Gus finds himself in a bit of a mess. 

Great story! And a nice introduction to Blackmore's writing. Gus is not a pretty character -- he's a slightly overweight former "good ol' boy'' just trying to survive. At least that's the impression I get from this introductory story. I'm definitely going to read the rest of this series! 

I listened to the audiobook version of this story, narrated by R.C. Bray. Bray did a great job of narrating! This story had some really disturbing events, and Bray really brought out the feel and tension of the scene and the earthy grit of Augustus Berry.

This story was a ball-breaking, pants shitting good time....literally. Poor Gus! I can't wait to read more of this series! 

**I voluntarily downloaded and listened to free copy of this short story from Audible. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment