Saturday, March 27, 2021

REVIEW: The Lost Village

 The Lost Village
Author: Camilla Sten


In 1959, more than 800 people disappeared. Every resident of the village of Silvertjarn....gone. Well almost every resident....the only ones left were a dead woman and a baby. Years later a documentary filmmaker brings a crew to the village to film. Alice has a direct tie to the mystery. Her grandmother's entire family disappeared in the incident. Alice is obsessed with the story. She wants to know the truth. So, she gathers friends and takes a film crew to the site. As soon as the crew enters the village, they realize something is very wrong.....but it's too late. 

I love stories like this! I'm a sucker for horror tales based around weird, creepy legends, film crews that get themselves into situations, mysterious disappearances....  I got sucked into this story immediately. Total binge read. I kept thinking to myself the entire time that this story would make an entertaining horror movie. Creepy abandoned houses....mounting fear...strange noises....then screams. Yeah -- would be a great Friday night movie night flick! 

This story is fast paced, creepy and very entertaining. Gory in spots....but not over-done. 

This is the first book by Camilla Sten that I've read. I hope more of her books will be translated into English soon! 

For me, this story deserves a second read. I have the audio book on hold at my local library. The waiting list is more than 2 months long...which is a sign that other people are really loving this book too! By the time I get to the top of the list, I will be able to enjoy this story again without it being too familiar to creep me out for a second time. :)I love listening to creepy stories on audio! I think this story will be even more tense and creepy when it's read to me! 

*I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. Like this one: More English translations of this writer's work please!**

No comments:

Post a Comment