Wednesday, March 17, 2021

REVIEW: We Begin At the End

 We Begin at the End
Author: Chris Whitaker


This book is well written, and drives its plot home with well-measured words and realistic, flawed characters. Duchess...a 13 year old girl who pictures herself as an outlaw to keep people away from her but who would do anything for her little brother. Walk....an aging Chief of Police whose own body is now failing him. And a whole cast of small town characters flawed and broken by life choices, secrets, lies, and fate. 

This story is haunting and sad. After the last year we have all endured, I found it difficult to listen to this story. I think I just read this book at the wrong time in my own life to become fully immersed in it. I recognize the skilled writing and the wonderful narration in the audio book.....this is a superbly crafted tale. I'm just not in the right headspace now to enjoy sad stories where there is no happy ending. But life is like that right? Some people deserve better than they get -- and some earn worse than they ever experience. That's the way it goes. 

Beautifully haunting. Sad. A book that will leave you thinking well after the last word is read. 

I loved it and hated it at the same time. I couldn't stop listening to the audio book, even though at times I really wanted to abandon this story. Isn't that the mark of a well crafted, but emotionally difficult, story? I think so. Full stars from me....despite the fact I personally found this story difficult. I have added this book to my list of stories I want to re-visit when things are a bit less stressful. I think I will enjoy it more after some time has passed. 

The audio book is 10.5 hours long and narrated by George Newbern. Newbern is a skilled voice actor. He didn't try to sound female as he read sections about Duchess and other female characters, but imparted their personalities in other ways. So much better than an adult man trying to sound like a 13-year old girl, as many narrators attempt. 

This is the first book by Chris Whitaker that I've read. I'm curious about his other novels and what he might write next. I am sure that I will be reading more! I highly recommend this book! But be aware going in  that it's emotionally heavy stuff. 

**I voluntarily listened to a review copy of this audio book from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment