Monday, March 22, 2021

REVIEW: The One Great Gnome

 The One Great Gnome
Author: Jeff Dinardo


Sarah is a bit unhappy when her parents move her from New York City to Hadley, CT. She misses her friends, the city...just her old life in general. Her father wants to fix up their new house, but he isn't exactly the perfect handyman. Things just seem a bit gloomy. But, then Sarah meets an unexpected friend....an old gnome. Vesper. Suddenly she is off on an adventure in a land filled with gnomes, elves, trolls and sprites!

This is a great adventure story for young elementary school age children. Sarah is a great main character. She learns a few things from her new friends, but also helps teach them some important lessons as well. Just a perfect innocent childhood adventure story -- I loved it! I often turn to children's books to have pure enjoyment of a story and to read something less heavy than adult fiction. I listened to this story as I worked outside getting my garden plots ready for planting soon, so it was perfect! 

I loved this sort of story when I was a child. I always wished my closet was a doorway to Narnia or that I could fly with Peter Pan. This story has that same innocent magic! An adventure just for a child who needs something to liven up their world...just a bit. 

I will definitely be reading more by Jeff Dinardo!

I listened to the audiobook version of this story. Narrated by Simone Stevens, the audio is just short of three hours long. Easy listening length! Stevens does a great job of narration. This story was a fun, entertaining listen as I worked outside in my yard. 

**I voluntarily listened to a review copy of this audiobook from One Elm Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment