Wednesday, March 10, 2021

REVIEW: The Nature of Fragile Things

 The Nature of Fragile Things
Author: Susan Meissner


This book was not what I expected. I actually requested it by accident thinking it was another book. I read all books I request for review...so I was going to read this with an open mind, even if it was a romance novel. I made a snap judgement based on the book blurb -- mail order bride, a move across the country, a huge earthquake....must be a romance novel....but one with an intriguing enough plot, even for someone who avoids the romance genre. 

Like I said -- this story surprised me. This book is not a romance novel....it's a novel about women coming together in the face of disaster and life-altering events. Sophie moves across the country to marry a man she doesn't know and comes to love his young daughter like her own. Kat is grieving the loss of her mother. The five year old hasn't spoken a word since her mother died. And Belinda, a woman who shows up on the doorstep unexpectedly, has details about Sophie's husband and his past. Then the 1906 San Francisco earthquake hits....and these women go on a journey that will require them to be very strong. 

A beautiful and suspenseful story! I loved it! Sometimes it's good to journey outside favorite genres and discover something unexpected and wonderful. I have the audio version of this book on hold at my local library because I want to enjoy this story again -- and have it read to me this time! 

This is the first book I've read by Susan Meissner. I'm definitely going to read more by her! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment