Wednesday, July 10, 2024

REVIEW: A Novel Idea

 A Novel Idea
Author: Elizabeth Spann Craig


In this 8th book in the Village Library Mystery series, the Whitby Library hosts an event featuring a local author. Sally Simmons has a bestseller about several people who share guilt in a killing and how their emotions change their lives. The author doesn't realize how much speaking at the Whitby Library is going to change her life....and not for the better. Yep....you guessed it....she turns up dead. And, Librarian Ann Beckett is on the case again. 

If my local public library was embroiled in so many murders, I would be afraid to go check out books! :) Not to mention living in a small town that has so many bodies showing up. Luckily, cozy mysteries allow readers to suspend reality and just enjoy a good bit of amateur sleuthing. 

I enjoyed this book. The mystery and the antics of the characters kept me engaged with the story the entire time. My favorite character is still Fitz the Library Cat, of course! 

The series is a bit formulaic as most of the novels seem to follow the same general plot outline: Murder, investigation starts, another murder, more investigation, twist, and reveal/end. But the circumstances are varied enough that I'm not getting bored, and I like the characters/background theme. So, I plan to read this series to the end. I just wish the plots would deviate from the standard. I have another series from this author on my shelves, the Myrtle Clover series, that I plan to read next. I hope those books don't follow this same standard each time. We shall see! 

On to the next! I have already pulled book 9, End of Story, off my bookshelves and getting started reading right away! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment