Saturday, July 20, 2024

REVIEW: Remarkably Bright Creatures

 Remarkably Bright Creatures
Author: Shelby Van Pelt


A coworker recommended I read this book. She specifically mentioned the audio book, stating that the voice actor for the octopus character was perfect. And, I agree. I loved every minute of listening to this story. 

The basics: Tova lost her son. He disappeared one night and authorities chalked it up to a boating accident or suicide. Then, years later, Tova lost her husband to cancer. She feels alone. But, at night as she cleans in the local aquarium, she befriends an Octopus. Marcellus. Little does she know that Marcellus will be one of the best friends of her entire life, in ways nobody could have predicted. 

I wish there had been just a little bit more Marcellus in the story. But the portions narrated from the Octopus' POV, made this story for me. The other characters are wonderful -- Tova, Cameron, Avery, and Ethan. But Marcellus.....totally my favorite.

Ever since I found out that octopuses (It was knocked into my skull in school that octopi is the correct plural for octopus, but I discovered while writing this review that octopuses and octopi are both accepted as correct. Lovely instant font of knowledge, the internet.) are incredibly intelligent, I have been obsessed with learning about them. I watch every documentary I come across, read magazines and books.And octopuses have been firmly added to my ever growing list of animals I consider murderous to eat or purposefully injure. The list keeps getting longer. I might as well just go vegetarian at this point as my days of eating other warm-blooded creatures is coming to an end. I just....can't. Even though the story is fictional, this book reminded me why I feel this way. 

I enjoyed this story. A bit predictable in places, but sometimes predictable feels comforting and right. At least that's how I felt as I listened to the audio book. The audio book is just a bit of 11 hours long and narrated by Marin Ireland and Michael Urie. Urie's depiction of Marcellus reminded me so much of Frasier Crane or his brother, Niles. Both narrators are excellent voice actors and brought this story to life. 

I don't usually read this sort of fiction. I'm glad I made an exception and branched out enough to enjoy this story. Loved it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment