Friday, February 19, 2016

REVIEW: Gone Girl.

Gone Girl
Author: Gillian Flynn
Publisher: Random House
Kindle Version

When I read the last word of this book, I returned to the library home page on my Kindle and sat speechless for a few moments. Usually I have a pretty straightforward opinion when I finish a book, but not this time.

Utterly disturbing. Yet, mesmerizing.

For me, this book was like driving by a car accident on the freeway. I know I shouldn't look. I should drive right by and not look. I shouldn't be curious about blood, gore and death.  But I can't look away and find myself slowing down to gawk. As I read this story, I felt like I was a voyeur into the suffering of someone else's life. It was emotionally draining. I wanted to put the book down....it was just too much. But, I couldn't stop reading. I couldn't look away from the wreck of Amy & Nick Dunne's lives.

It took me awhile to get into the story. I disliked the main characters. Completely self-absorbed upper class twits. Miss Trust Fund meets Mr. Gorgeous and they get married, only to find out that marriage isn't wonderful rainbows and dancing unicorns. In five years, they have slid into a passive-aggressive, destructive relationship. Neither one is happy. Then Amy disappears and their whole facade comes crashing down. At first, I figured he killed his wife (the whole Scott Pederson kinda thing) and hid her body, but then the story grabbed hold of me and I couldn't stop reading. There was more to it. So much more.

I don't think I was swept into the story so completely because the book was well written, or because the plot was anything exceptionally new. I think it was because the little voice in the back of my mind kept whispering...."This could really happen.''

This could happen. And it's F'd up beyond belief.

I offer no real spoilers. I came into this book without knowing anything except the basic plot, and without seeing anything but a 30 second movie trailer for the film version. If I had peeked to the end or had too much prior knowledge, it would have ruined the experience.

I have to get the feelings this book invoked out of my head. I'm going to watch a funny movie or read something completely ridiculous to get Gone Girl out of my mind. The ending was maddening and gut-wrenching. Sickening, really.

This. Could. Happen.

Brilliant.

My rating: 8/10
Adult & sexual situations, some language
Ages 16+

No comments:

Post a Comment