Sunday, February 14, 2016

REVIEW: If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White

If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't)
Author: Betty White
Publisher: GP Putnam's Sons
260 pages
Biography

I have been enjoying Betty White's comedy on television and in movies since she starred as Sue Ann Niven in the Mary Tyler Moore show in the '70s.  I recently discovered her sitcom from the 1950s, Life with Elizabeth, on DVD. Such witty humor! She has been a stellar comedy talent from the beginning of her career, which spans almost 70 years. When I saw If You Ask Me on the shelf at my local library, I had to check it out! I was surprised to learn that she has written 7 books. I enjoyed this one so much, I know I need to read the others!

Betty writes in an easy-to-read conversational style. She "chats" mostly about the last 15 years. She quips about the resurgence of her career, hosting SNL, starring in Hot in Cleveland, what it's like to win a Hollywood award, and her work in animal advocacy.

I had such a good time reading what she had to say that I read the entire book in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. It was like sitting down to lunch with Betty and just listening to her talk. I enjoyed her anecdotes about her 3 best known television series: The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Golden Girls and Hot in Cleveland. She talked about several movies she has been in recently as well, and how acting in television and movies are vastly different.

If you like Betty White, this book is a must-read. I had such a good time that I was sorry when I reached the last page! Her other books are definitely going on my to-read list!

My rating: 9/10
All ages

No comments:

Post a Comment