Thursday, April 25, 2019

REVIEW: City of Flickering Light

City of Flickering Light
Author: Juliette Fay

It all starts in 1921 when Irene Van Beck and her two friends, Millie and Henry, jump from a moving train. They were tired of life with a travelling burlesque show...low pay, abuse, constant moving around. The three friends find their way to Hollywood, dreaming of a new life acting in "flickers.'' Turns out, Hollywood glamour is an illusion hiding a seedy underside. The friends experience hunger, disappointment, and loss while trying to make it big in tinseltown.

I love tales of Old Hollywood, so jumped on the chance to read an early copy of this book by Juliette Fay. So many hopefuls have gone to Hollywood in the past 100 years....only to learn that competition is killer and the lifestyle is a soul-sucking experience. Many seek the glamour and fame...but few ever find it. These three friends experience so much together after jumping off that train...and the story is mesmerizing. It's like a peek behind the curtain into the dark shadows behind the glamour of Old Hollywood. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down!!

This is the first book by Juliette Fay that I've read. I've added her book about the Vaudeville era, The Tumbling Turner Sisters, to my TBR stack!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Gallery Books via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment