Sunday, April 21, 2019

REVIEW: Superman Versus the Ku Klux Klan

Superman Versus the Ku Klux Klan
Author: Rick Bowers

I love Old Time Radio. :) I listen to every old radio show I can....super heroes, detectives, suspense stories....I love it all. And I loved this book!

In 1947, the Superman radio show pitted the iconic hero against the ku klux klan. This book outlines the history of Superman, antisemitism and other racial issues of the depression era, history of the klan, and the radio show that pitted the super hero against a racist organization.

I detest the klan with every fiber of my being. They didn't just hate people of color and Jews. My grandmother, whose sons were overseas fighting in World War II, was awakened one night to hooded klansmen burning a cross in her front yard. My family is of German descent and Catholic....so they decided to victimize a woman and her children on a rural farm while she was fearing for the lives of her four sons fighting in a war for their country. Bastards. Cowardly bigots. Hiding under hoods and robes....spewing hate. My father taught me well....he instilled in me the knowledge that judging others by their color, creed, nationality or sexual orientation is not just wrong, but small-minded and weak. Hate is a weak person's weapon. Period.

This book brought together my love of super heroes, old radio and history. I learned some facts about the creators of Superman that I didn't know before...did my best to listen to the history of the klan without throwing up....and enjoyed the history of the Superman radio show and information on the radio show episodes.

I listened to the audiobook version of this story. Narrated by Johnny Heller, the audio is about four hours long. Heller reads at a nice pace and has a pleasing voice. I have hearing loss but was easily able to hear and understand the entire book. I'm going to buy a print copy of this book because I read some other reviews that mentioned photos and artwork that I missed by listening to the audio. My husband is a big comic book fan, so this book will find a place on our keeper shelf.

Great book! Filled with a lot of topics I love! (and one group I detest). Full stars from me. Can't wait to see the print edition with all the art!

No comments:

Post a Comment