Tuesday, April 9, 2019

REVIEW: Clean & Lean

Clean & Lean
Author: Ian K. Smith, MD

I like Intermittent Fasting. I feel my best when I'm following a regimented, mostly clean, eating plan. I'm not jumping on the dieting bandwagon. I have other reasons for needing to follow a strict diet. 10 years ago I had surgery on my gut that forever changed the way I have to eat....it happens. I deal with it. Plus, I'm a food addict. When I get upset...I want to eat. When I'm happy...I want to eat. When I'm sad...I want to eat. I just like to eat. I look at it like this....food is my drug of choice. Instead of alcohol, drugs or other options....I choose food. So, I have to keep a tight rein on my eating or face the consequences.....gaining weight, feeling sick, etc.

 IF limits daily meals to a period of hours each day. There are a number of fasting hours each day, and a number of eating hours each day. All meals, snacks, or drinks with calories have to be consumed during eating hours. So if I'm following a 16:8 IF plan, I fast for 16 hours a day and eat during an 8 hour window. From 8 pm to noon each day, I would be fasting -- no food, or drinks with calories. Then from noon to 8 pm, I can have 3 meals and snacks. Make sense? Some do 14:10, 12:12...there's a whole range of options depending on what works for an individual. The basic concept is simple. 

Dr. Ian K. Smith's new book, Clean & Lean, mixes an IF eating plan with clean eating options and an exercise program. His plan calls for cutting out processed foods, added sugars, junk carbs and eating a limited list of healthier foods. He combines his clean eating program with IF -- clean foods eaten within a limited window of time each day.

I enjoyed reading through this book. Smith gives basic information on how IF works, the IF requirements/restrictions and options, and a basic list of allowed clean foods with flexible options. He gives basic instructions for exercise for beginning, intermediate and advanced fitness levels. There are some recipes included for making homemade condiments, salsa, salad dressing, etc.

Pros -- the plan is simple. A quick read through the book, a trip to the grocery store, and anybody can be trying this program. There are no strange, hard-to-find foods on his list. It's all normal foods available at any store. He doesn't list any expensive supplements, drinks, powders that are supposed magic elixirs available for outrageous prices on his website blah blah blah -- we've all seen those diet guru tricks.  None of that here -- his entire plan is in the book with no gimmicks required. Healthy foods & willpower, both supplied by the individual...with guidance from Smith. Easy Peasy and nothing sleazy.

Cons -- Just the usual common sense precautions here, especially for those with special medical needs like diabetics. IF is a controlled eating program, and anytime someone makes radical changes to their nutrition or exercise, their personal doctor should be consulted first. Also, Smith does have a website with the usual diet/nutrition guru stuff (exericse DVD, multiple other books, etc) available and an app. But, those add-ons are not pushed in this book. Everything someone needs to try Clean & Lean is in this one book. There is an extra recipe book available for purchase separately....but clean eating recipes are readily available everywhere. Local libraries, free internet sites.....literally everywhere. The recipe book isn't required. And there is no hard sell gimmick. I saw no potions, powders, vitamin pills or anything like that for sale on Smith's website either. If an app or extra recipes is a plus for you -- buy them. But, you don't have to. Kudos to Smith for not pushing sales of sketchy supplements or other books on his readers.

Over the past few months I have gotten lazy with my eating.....and I'm starting to notice the icky feeling creeping back. The sluggish, out-of-shape, blecky feeling I get when I'm not eating right.....I hate it. I want the pep back in my step...so I'm going to clean up my act. I think this new book might just be a great catalyst to put me back on track. I'm putting myself into self-imposed rehab when it comes to food.

 I like the simplicity of this book. The information is straight forward and basic. Smith provides a suggested daily eating/exercise plan for 30 days, a list of allowable and restricted foods and a very basic regimen of exercise.

Full stars from me for the simple presentation, basic daily suggested regimens, and no sales gimmicks!

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. This review is certified organic, no sugar added, gluten free, no preservatives or artificial coloring.**


No comments:

Post a Comment