Monday, April 15, 2019

REVIEW: Stranger Paths

Stranger Paths
Author: R.J. Zarkani

Raghad Zarkani's poetry was born from her childhood experiences in war-torn Iraq. Her memories and experiences come shining through... both the fear of war and the joy of childhood.

Children are resilient and find happiness and joy in the midst of any situation. Zarkani's poems not only touch on war and its effects, but also the joy and wonder only children can feel. She also speaks about confusion over propaganda, coming to America, missing her childhood, and experiencing racism.

I don't normally read poetry. But I made an exception for this book. I'm glad I did. I loved it!

When the war with Iraq was ongoing, my oldest son was young. I would watch the news on television and then gaze at my son thinking about all the children in Iraq and how scared they must be. Soldiers, bombs, fires, death....things children shouldn't have to endure.  I remember the wide range of emotions I felt as a young mom watching the war unfold on CNN  -- relief that I had never personally experienced that level of violence, sadness that some lived the horror of war every day, and fear for the children that were caught in the middle of a situation they couldn't understand. Reading this poetry collection reminded me of all those thoughts and emotions I felt back then and opened up my eyes to how it made a young Iraqi girl feel. I'm very glad the author made it out safely and I'm so glad she chose to share her memories and emotions in her poetry.

Wonderful book!

**I voluntarily downloaded a free copy of this book. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**



No comments:

Post a Comment