Saturday, March 4, 2023

REVIEW: All the Queen's Spies

 All the Queen's Spies
Author: Oliver Clements


I have to admit that when I first requested to review this book, I somehow missed that it is the 3rd book in a series. But I love this era in history -- all the politics, court intrigue, and treachery! -- so I jumped in and read without backtracking to start the series from the beginning. 

I am happy to report that I was able to follow the characters and plot of this book without having read any of the prior books in the series. I am going to back up and read the books in order now just to get the entire feel of Clements' writing and the tales he is building. I am a total nut for anything historical from the Tudor era, fiction or non-fiction. So I happily sipped tea and read this fictional story set in Queen Elizabeth I's reign. 

Some historical license is taken in this story. But, it's a fictionalized suspense/mystery story, so that's to be expected. The changes in fact were nothing major that pulled me out of the story. Minor historical license taken for the sake of story doesn't really bother me. 

All in all, a very entertaining read. I am going to jump back in at the first book and read my way through all three books before the next one comes out. 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment