Wednesday, April 22, 2020

REVIEW: Crimson Shore

Crimson Shore
Authors: Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

A priceless wine collection has been stolen. Agent Pendergast along with his ward Constance Green take a trip to Exmouth, MA to investigate. The thieves emptied the wine cellar except for one case of an extremely rare vintage from 1904. Pendergast rapidly discovers that there is much more going on than the theft of some incredibly expensive wines. A secret chamber holds clues to old secrets.....murder, dark rituals.....evil.

Leave it to Pendergast to jump into a case for the price of a bottle of rare wine and end up nose deep in long hidden, horrible secrets. This story definitely kept my attention the entire time....and led me to immediately check out the audio of the next book in the series. Thank God there was not a waiting list for this one! I would have been biting my fingernails off until it became available! But, there is a reason these books usually have a wait list at the library (about the only thing good about Covid-19 is that libraries have increased their checkout limits and number of available copies of books so everyone can read and listen during all of this mess)...the stories are exciting, the characters are interesting, and the action is never, ever boring! As I listened to the opening chapters of this book, I actually talked to my phone as it played.....oh Aloysius, surely you realize this case is not going to end up being about wine. I tried to tell him.....but alas.....he had to proceed as written. :)

Another great story in this series! I listen these days with a twinge of sadness. Rene Auberjonois is a perfect narrator for this series. After his death in December 2019, the newest book published in 2020, Crooked River, was narrated by Jefferson Mays. I went to Audible and listened to an audio sample. Sigh. It sounds like Jefferson Mays does a good job....but he is no Rene Auberjonois. Crimson Shore is the 15th book in this series. Auberjonois narrated up to book 18....so I will have the joy of three more superb performances by one of my favorite actors until I have to accept (or try to) change. RIP Rene Auberjonois....thank you so much for sharing decades of your talent with all of us!

On to book 16 -- The Obsidian Chamber!

No comments:

Post a Comment