Thursday, April 16, 2020

REVIEW: Tombstone

Tombstone
Author: Tom Clavin

I have read several historical books by Tom Clavin and he never disappoints. I am an amateur history buff and my husband is a big fan of westerns. So, Tom Clavin books are rapidly populating our shelf of Wild West era history books. While I enjoyed my digital advanced copy of this newest book, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of our pre-ordered hardback copy! This book deserves a re-read after my husband finishes reading it!

Tombstone. The Earps. Doc Holliday. The Clantons. The famous gunfight that occurred in 1881 in Tombstone has been immortalized in so many ways....and most of the stories are based around the legends grown up around the characters involved. Bigger than life characters. But....in reality....those involved were not characters, but real life people. This is a real event.....and Tom Clavin digs past the legends and folklore to get at the real event. What actually happened that fateful day and what is the truth about the aftermath.

For me, this book was pure gold. I love reading about this era of history. And Clavin, as usual, goes into awesome detail. I always feel like a Clavin book is as close as I can get to meeting real historical figures short of inventing a working time machine. :) I enjoyed every bit of this book, and learned facts that I didn't previously know. I love it when an author teaches me something new on a subject in which I felt "well read.''  It reminds me that there is always more to learn!!

I can't wait for my husband to get his copy....I'm anxious to compare notes on parts of the book I found most interesting. We always have the best discussions about history after reading a Clavin book!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment