Wednesday, April 1, 2020

REVIEW: Return to Gone Away

Return to Gone Away
Author: Elizabeth Enright

After finishing Gone-Away Lake, I was so excited to discover that there is a second book!! I immediately checked out the audio version of Return to Gone-Away because I was eager to find out what happened next!

Portia and her little brother Foster are so excited when their parents purchase an old house they found while on summer adventures with their cousin, Julian. The house, located near an abandoned former lake resort, is filled with treasures from a by-gone era (and lots of dust and cobwebs). In this sequel to Gone-Away Lake, the family spend spring break and summer vacation fixing up the old house and discovering lots of hidden secrets.

I loved both books! The characters are colorful. The setting is perfect for adventures! And the story is heart-warming and entertaining. Just what I needed! I listened to this book during my commute to work, while working in the garden, doing housework, etc. The magical story was just incredibly entertaining. It's definitely a little bit dated (story was published in 1961). A lovely old house like this (even if boarded up) would not stay unmolested by explorers or thieves/vandals in this day and age. But it was lovely to read such a fun kids' adventure story!

The Gone-Away books are the first books by Elizabeth Enright that I've read. I will definitely be reading more! I already have the first book in her Melendy Quartet, The Saturdays, checked out from my local library! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment