Friday, April 24, 2020

REVIEW: The Obsidian Chamber

The Obsidian Chamber
Authors: Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

This was such an exciting book! I listened to the audio book format while working in my yard and planting the garden. Definitely keep me totally absorbed in the story the entire time. Made hours of outdoor work whiz right by!

A dangerous figure in both Pendergast's and Constance Green's past comes back in this exciting tale. The cliff hanger ending of Crimson Shore is resolved, and a character I didn't expect to see again popped up to cause all sorts of problems. I feel like this book returns to the action/vibe of the first few books that was maybe lacking a bit in later stories. I think the Helen-centric books bogged down the series a bit....for me, that particular continuing plot carried on too long. I do have to say that I feel like the two main characters made some bad judgment calls in this book. I think both characters will have to deal with some bad consequences from decisions made in The Obsidian Chamber.

The audio book version (Hachette Audio)is just under 13 hours long. It is narrated by Rene Auberjonois, who gives his usual excellent performance. Auberjonois passed away in December 2019 and stopped narrating this series with book 18. Jefferson Mays narrates the newest book, Crooked River, that just came out in 2020. I will savor the next two books with Auberjonois' narration, and do my best to accept the change once I get to book 20.

Moving on to Book #17, City of Endless Night!


No comments:

Post a Comment