Monday, October 19, 2020

Voodoo Heart
Author: John Everson

This book is an interesting mix....a blend of hard hitting detective novel and occult horror Voodoo style. Set in New Orleans, the story has a lot of rawness about it -- sex, blood, human sacrifice, pure evil....

Although I enjoyed the story, I just couldn't get away from the thought that I'd read so many stories like this before. There are 10000000 New Orleans Voodoo blood and guts everywhere books out there. And this is really just another one on the stack. I didn't particularly get into the characters, the action or the horror edge. 

This is a well-written story....and I did enjoy reading it for the most part. In the end, I think it's just a matter of the story not being for me. I've read too many jaded-detective-gets-embroiled-in-evil stories before,and just didn't get lost in this story like I wanted to. But that is just my opinion. It didn't work for me....doesn't mean others won't absolutely love it. 

It's a miss for me this time. I do look forward to more by this author though. The next book might be something I really love!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book by John Everson. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment