Monday, October 12, 2020

REVIEW: A Brotherhood Betrayed

 A Brotherhood Betrayed
Author: Michael Cannell


Given the many True Crime novels, podcasts and youtube videos that I enjoy....and my love of history...one would think that I probably would have learned a bit about the history of organized crime and the mob along the way. But when I first learned this book was coming out, I realized that organized crime, its origins, downfall, and key players are really a gaping hole in my knowledge of American history. I've pretty much avoided the subject and I'm not sure why. Instead of pondering why my knowledge of the mob is limited to watching The Godfather movies years ago, I decided to educate myself. I started by reading this book. 

A Brotherhood Betrayed tells the story of Abe Reles, a former mob hitman who turned informant in 1940. It didn't go well for him....

Author Michael Cannell obviously did copious amounts of research to write this book. He traces Reles' career in crime from his childhood clear up to his mysterious death. The tale of corruption and violence made me uncomfortable and intrigued at the same time. There is something mesmerizing about power and ruthlessness. It makes for a great book....but I'm glad my only contact with that world is reading a non-fiction book about it. So many people's lives ruined...so many murders, threats and bribes....all for money, power and greed. It makes me uncomfortable, I think, because it points to a huge flaw in human nature....the drive to succeed and have everything no matter what the cost. And the knowledge that those who live by the sword often die by it. Reles certainly did. 

Great book! When a well-crafted book on history can make me incredibly uncomfortable, it's well done. This story is quite thought provoking. It definitely kept my attention from start to finish. And I learned about a segment of American history I have avoided until now. I need to learn more! It's a topic that is interesting, intriguing and horrifying at the same time. Imagine what could have been accomplished if these incredibly smart, cunning and dedicated men had turned their lives towards the public good rather than crime? It wouldn't be such a dramatic story, but might have prevented such waste of human lives and intelligence.....just a thought. 

Great book! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment