Sunday, October 11, 2020

REVIEW: If the Broom Fits

 If the Broom Fits
Author: Sara Bourgeois


Thanks to some lovely other Bibliophiles, I recently discovered Scribd. Since I returned to working full time at the beginning of 2020, I find myself listening to many more audiobooks. I can listen during my commute, on breaks at work, in the evening while I catch up on household chores...   It allows me to get my reading fix when I don't have a lot of time to sit and read a physical book. But, my selection of audiobooks was severely limited until recently. Now, between my local library, Audible+ and Scribd, I can always find something entertaining to listen to. 

I love it when I find a new-to-me author that I really like! I came across this book on Scribd and the cover art and blurb caught my interest. I really needed a cute, cozy story that was a bit Halloween-ish....and this fit that need perfectly. This is the first book by Sara Bourgeois that I have read -- and I'm definitely sticking around for more! I like the characters and the plot -- fun, entertaining, well-written. The short length was nice too....I finished this first story in two days and already have book 2 queued up on my phone. 

The basics: Brighton Longwood's life is falling apart. She is newly divorced, childless, and got fired from her job. So, she packs everything she owns into a U-haul and heads to Hangman's House, a long empty mansion she inherited from her Aunt. The place is dirty, a bit neglected and she has no funds for renovation, but Brighton is determined to start over. That's when things start to get a bit weird. Turns out her aunt -- nicknamed Mad Maude -- might not have been so crazy after all. The little town of Coventry has a real witch of a secret! Soon Brighton not only finds herself a suspect in a murder investigation...but she's smack dab in the middle of a witch feud, discovers she has a family familiar, and strange things even happen to her hair. Her life is definitely taking a new direction -- just not one she could have ever expected!

I'm definitely going to be reading/listening to the rest of the books in the Witches of Coventry series. This story kept my attention the entire time -- entertaining and fun! Brighton is an interesting main character. I'm curious to see where character development goes for her...and for several of the side characters. And I adore her familiar! 

Readers who like cozy mysteries with paranormal aspects and a dash of humor will enjoy this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment