Friday, October 2, 2020

REVIEW: Jaws

 Jaws
Author: Peter Benchley


When I saw this book pop up on Audible+, I had to listen to it! I first read the book my freshman year of high school...and have watched every single movie multiple times (even the horrible 3D one!). There is just something about a monster shark story. I enjoy them all!  From Jaws to Sharknado to The Meg -- it's a way for me to encounter something that scares me (being eaten alive is a pretty scary thought!) without actually being in danger. 

I enjoyed re-reading the novel that started my love of Killer Shark tales. Revisiting it as an adult, rather than a 14 year old teen, gave me some new insights into the characters. The Sheriff and his wife's marital issues....an affair based on need, nostalgia and bitterness....small town political drama. I didn't understand most of that when I read this as a kid....but I certainly did this time. And the shark was the same toothy eating machine he has always been. Oh hey look a surfer --- MUNCH! lol

The beach and the ocean are two of my favorite places to visit. But, the ocean and the creatures in it are also unpredictable and sometimes frightening. The shark didn't mean it personally ..... it's in its basic nature to hunt and kill. That is its purpose. I can't fault a creature for following its inner programming...but I can avoid it. I still remember vividly a trip to Spain I took with a school group in 1984. We were happily paddle boating and swimming at Torremolinos, when it dawned on me that I couldn't see my feet. We were in deep water. Beautiful blue...the white sand beach in the distance. But......what was swimming near me, under me.....???  I got back in the boat. Immediately. Why?  THIS BOOK!! 

I listened to the audio book version of this story. The audio is just over 9.5 hours long and narrated by Erik Steele. Steele has a pleasant voice and did a great job of bringing the story to life. An entertaining listening experience! I'm now going to watch the movie again. The movie version differs from the book, but the plot is basically intact. They just removed the affair and some of the sub plot to make time for more munching and screaming. The movie has one of the best, and most recognizable, theme songs ever! :) 

And, I will also admit that thanks to Peter Benchley, I still get nervous when I swim in the ocean and realize I'm in deep enough that I can't see my feet. I always head for shore at that point....    :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment