Wednesday, August 18, 2021

REVIEW: Shutter

 Shutter
Author: Melissa Larsen


Running from ghosts of the past and a failed relationship, Betty decides to change her life. She goes to New York with plans to become an actress. When a friend introduces her to a film maker, Betty believes everything she dreams of  might just fall into place. Anthony Merino is a talented director, but things get steadily more bizarre and distressing as they film a hidden camera style movie on an island off the coast of Maine. 

This story is a slow build. As it started, I just got the artistic vibe from the characters....but as things developed those vibes got more and more bizarre and distressing. The main thought in my head as the film project progressed wasn't about the plot, but more about what people would be willing to endure or participate in for $40,000 and a chance at an acting career. Would you allow a person you hardly know to name you Lola, change your appearance, and install cameras in every room of the house you are staying in....for $40,000 and a shot at More. Would you venture into the middle of nowhere, knowing very little about the people you are with, or the project you are working on?? There are some who are willing to endure a hell of a lot for .... More. Or a Whole New Life. A New Beginning. All those phrases we use.....all those things we want. 

Worth it?? 

You be the judge -- read this book! 

I liked this story. The plot builds slowly but the characters kept my attention riveted on the story. Although I have read several books with a plot about a film maker and a mysterious project gone wrong, this one wasn't as predictable. I was never sure what was going to happen next. It made me....uncomfortable. That was my main emotion....uncomfortable. As Anthony Merino built on his project -- creating Lola -- in my head I was screaming at Betty "Do you know what you are getting yourself into??'' Even as the story descended into a very creepy vibe, I found myself having to keep reading (and listening as I bought the audio book too). I had to know the final outcome. 

I did not expect the ending. 

A suspense story that can make me uncomfortable and creeped out....and that surprises me....is definitely a success! 

I read a review copy of this book, and also purchased the audio book. The audio is just short of 10 hours long and is narrated by Megan Tusing.  I have found that I enjoy suspense stories more in audio format. Megan Tusing did a great job narrating. She has a pleasant voice, reads at steady pace and gives a skilled acting performance. Very enjoyable listening experience. 

This book is Melissa Larsen's debut as an author. I'm interested to see what she comes up with next! The cover art for the book is awesome! Perfect for the story!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment