Wednesday, August 25, 2021

REVIEW: Where the Truth Lies

 Where the Truth Lies
Author: Anna Bailey


A teenage girl goes to a party in the woods with a friend....and never comes home. The friend is not only afraid and frantic to find the missing girl, but feels guilty as she was convinced to leave her at the party. It doesn't matter that the missing girl was the one who wanted to stay....it only matters that she's gone. As Emma starts looking for Abi.....the dark underbelly of Whistling Ridge, CO starts to be revealed. Secrets never stay secret.....  The Town, the residents, family members, even Abi herself....secrets are coming out. And it isn't pretty. 

Wow...what a book! A seemingly perfect Colorado town is just a mask over a cesspit of secrets, lies, and plots. Very suspenseful story....very twisty....what a ride! I started reading this book and it quickly became a binge read. I couldn't put it down. Got sucked right into the crap that is Whistling Ridge. Yikes! 

I grew up in a small town in the midwest. And I returned there as an adult to be a news reporter. This book hit home and hit home hard -- small towns hide so much secret, horrible shit. And my hometown was no different. Murderers let go by a jury because the victim was considered a whore. Affairs, unethical behavior, thefts covered up because the people involved were important. Racism. Classism. Crimes committed by important people's kids covered up. No arrest orders for people. Little town -- little people trying so hard to be big. All worthless.  I left. And moved to another small town 1200 miles away.  Still lies and agendas here....still small town money trying to be relevant.....but it doesn't hurt as bad to see it. These aren't the people I grew up with, people I went to school with......these are just people. They are the same....but it doesn't gut me like learning my hometown was nothing like Mayberry. This book reminded me of all that -- those emotions, the dawning realization that the world could be a very, very bad place, and locking your front door doesn't mean a damn thing. Some things can't be kept out. 

Great book! I enjoyed it! If a story can be truly disturbing -- then it's well written!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Atria Books. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**



No comments:

Post a Comment