Saturday, August 28, 2021

REVIEW: The Hollows

 The Hollows
Author: Mark Edwards


Tom travels to the United States from the UK each summer to spend time with his daughter. His life is a bit tattered -- divorced, career dwindling, finances tight -- but he wants to enjoy this trip to Maine with Frankie. A resort cabin in the woods -- no phone, no internet. Hollow Falls is just the place for him to reconnect with his teenage daughter. But, when they arrive, Tom learns that the resort was the site of a double murder 20 years before. And it's almost the anniversary of the crime. Turns out that Hollow Falls isn't the idyllic spot that Tom thought it was.....

This is the first book by Mark Edwards that I've read. I wasn't sure what to expect. Wackadoodle people lurking in the woods around unprepared vacationing families isn't a new plot for suspense stories....but Edwards pulled this off nicely. The story kept my attention from beginning to end. 

I listened to the audiobook version of this book. Narrated by Guy Mott, the audio is just a bit short of 10 hours. Mott does an ok job of narrating, but I do have to say his attempt at American accents was distracting for me. And the voice he used for Frankie was just bad. Overall though, his narration was ok and I was able to listen to the book. 

Very entertaining story. No real surprises....but nicely paced and suspenseful. I will definitely read/listen to more by Mark Edwards. 




No comments:

Post a Comment