Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Review: Bah! Humbug!

Bah! Humbug!
Author: Michael Rosen
Illustrator: Tony Ross

Harry Gruben has the lead in a school play. He's playing Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. His parents and his sister are going to the production. Harry just wishes his dad would stop thinking about business or reading emails on his phone and just be his dad for once. Little does he know a little Christmas Carol magic will play out for his dad, while Harry portrays Scrooge on the stage.

A Christmas Carol has been one of my favorite books since childhood. I love the imagery, the characters and the happy ending for the ol' curmudgeon, Ebenezer Scrooge. I re-read the book every holiday season at least once, and read every retelling I can get my hands on. :) When I saw this book's title, I knew I had to read it! I'm glad I did! Not only does the book include a lot of passages and dialogue straight from A Christmas Carol, giving the lines and actions that Harry is performing on-stage...but it weaves in the tale about Harry's dad, preoccupied with business and missing his son's play, and his lesson in priorities.

This story is such a creative way to give the ageless tale of redemption a modern feel....workaholic parents, smartphones, email, computers, instant information.....and kids who just want their parents to stop running and just be mom and dad for awhile.

Lovely book! I'm buying a copy for my A Christmas Carol theme bookshelf....for when I need a reminder of what my top priorities should be. Sometimes the tech needs to be turned off!! :)

This is the first book I've read by Michael Rosen. I'm definitely going to read more of his children's stories, especially one he wrote about the life of Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Dahl. The illustrations by Tony Ross were perfect and really added to the book! He illustrated the Horrid Henry series and many others. The cover for Bah! Humbug! is awesome....very colorful and festive!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Candlewick Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. No spirits appeared to point out my poor life choices during the reading of this book. God bless us, every one!**

No comments:

Post a Comment