Friday, October 5, 2018

REVIEW: The Exes Revenge

The Exes' Revenge
Author: Jo Jakeman

Actions have consequences.

Phillip Rochester is abusive, manipulative and controlling. There are three women who know just how much of a nightmare he can be.  One decision acts as a catalyst to start a battle in motion. Three women against one man.  If hell hath no fury like a woman scorned....what about three women?

This book is disturbing, action-packed and suspenseful. I usually find at least one redeeming quality in characters, even villains...and I tried. But Phillip Rochester is just a total wanker. Not that the three women he wronged are much better. Imogen, Naomi and Ruby all have their faults and have all made huge mistakes in judgement. And normally they wouldn't have allied with each other for any reason, given their former attachments to Mr. Wanker. But.....adversity makes strange bedfellows.

 I usually avoid books that center around abusive relationships, divorce, kids stuck in the middle, etc.....but this one sounded different. Revenge. Powerful emotions. And dark decisions. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop.....wow....just wow. The story is just incredi-disturbing, scary and wrong....but I couldn't stop myself wanting to finish...to find out what happened. 

This story is heavy....emotional and dark. I think I might just have to watch 2 Disney movies and binge a season of Gilmore Girls to clear out my head. But, a book that can bring me on a emotional roller-coaster ride is well-written. This story moves along at a perfect pace....has plenty of unexpected twists along the way....and is stellar at building suspense and just feelings of dread, disgust, anger, sadness.... 

Not for the faint of heart or for those who just can't handle stories about abusive (mental and physical) relationships.

Kudos to Jo Jakeman for totally creeping me the hell out. By halfway through the book, even I was afraid of Philip Rochester! Total wanker!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment