Friday, October 19, 2018

REVIEW: A Dark and Twisting Path

A Dark and Twisting Path
Author: Julia Buckley

A Dark and Twisting Path is the 3rd book in the Writer's Apprentice Mystery series. I have to admit that I haven't read the other two books in this series yet. I think I might have enjoyed this book more if I had read the first two books before this one. I was able to follow the story and enjoy it, but I would have understood past events that are very important to the plot and the characters a lot better. So, while it isn't completely necessary to read this series in order, it might be a good idea anyway.

There is a lot of serious stuff going on in this book -- a kidnapped child, murder, burglary, stalking -- it has a little bit of everything. Lena London is an engaging and capable main character. She's intelligent and loyal, standing by her new boyfriend despite his multiple run-ins with the law. She knows he isn't a killer, and she works hard to help him prove it. The supporting characters are well-developed and believable. This isn't a cutesie cozy mystery....it's got some pretty serious crime and complex things going on behind the scenes. The story is on-going through all of the books, which is something I enjoyed. There is enough background information given just in case a reader hasn't read the other books or has forgotten things over time. But, the story line isn't bogged down in back-tracking, either. The mystery moves along at a nice pace, with great suspense building and plenty of twists.

I'm definitely going to read the first two books in this series, then read this one again. Then I will be ready for the next book in this series! Very enjoyable book! I look forward to more!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment