Sunday, October 28, 2018

REVIEW: Shotguns and Stagecoaches

Shotguns and Stagecoaches
Author: John Boessenecker

Wells Fargo. Today the company is a financial institution offering the usual services....banking, loans, retirement accounts, investments, etc. But from 1852 to 1918, the company offered express services. Wells Fargo shipped mail, packages, valuables, money...even gold...all across the United States. In its heyday, Wells Fargo delivered goods faster than the United States Postal Service. Starting as a small company in the 1850s, by the time World War I ended Wells Fargo express services, the company had 10,000 offices all across the country.

Shotguns and Stagecoaches tells the stories of 20 Wells Fargo messengers and detectives whose job required them to protect Wells Fargo assets from nefarious criminals and robbers. I loved reading the stories of these fascinating characters who protected the integrity of the company by making sure money and valuables entrusted to the company arrived at their final destination. The stories are well-written, interesting and amazing! The history of that era is so fascinating. I've read a lot about Old West history, but I still learned some new facts by reading this book. For instance, Wells Fargo express services ended in 1918 because the United States government required all mail/express services be consolidated into only one carrier -- the USPS -- due to World War I. Only the banking services offered by Wells Fargo survived WWI. I always wondered how Wells Fargo went from a Old West stagecoach delivery type service to the banking institution it is today. I also didn't realize that their express service still operated into the 1900s. So interesting! I find it fascinating that we have come so far in just 100 years....makes books like this one by John Boessenecker incredibly interesting! The United States might have much less history than other nations that are much older, but our history is definitely colorful. Not necessarily always good....but colorful.

My husband loves tales from this era in history. He is fascinated about the wild and woolly days of the Old West and the Gold Rush era. I pre-ordered him a copy of this book immediately after I finished reading my review copy. I enjoyed this book....but he will absolutely love it. It will be a binge reading event I am sure. :) Anyone who enjoys US History or tales of the Old West will love this book.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment