Tuesday, October 30, 2018

REVIEW: Murder By the Book

Murder By the Book
Author: Lauren Elliott

Addison Greyborne worked at the Boston Public Library until a year ago, but then her life fell apart. Her fiance was murdered and her father died in an accident. While still reeling from the deaths, a relative died and left her money and a house in Greyborne Harbor. She opened her own shop, Beyond the Page Books & Curios, and started trying to piece her life back together again. Someone seems determined to put a damper on her plans. Her shop and home are broken into and a dark car seems to be following her. Just as she makes a new friend, that friend is arrested for killing another local merchant. Addie is determined to clear Serena's name and discover who is behind the break-ins and other bad happenings in Greyborne Harbor.

Murder By the Book is a great start to a new cozy series! I do wish they had chosen a more creative title for the book though. There are SO many mysteries with the same title. It's been done before.....1000 times. The story line is a bit trope-y too.....mysterious, unknown relative leaves money and property to main character and bad things happen. But, I enjoyed the characters and the background theme of a book and curio shop. The story was entertaining and the mystery plot engaging enough to hold my interest. So, I forgive the tropes.....

I wish the small town I live in had a shop like Beyond the Page. I would be there all the time!! :)

A second book in this new series, Prologue to Murder, will be out in 2019. I will definitely read more of this series!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment