Wednesday, October 17, 2018

REVIEW: Under My Skin

Under My Skin
Author: Lisa Unger

Poppy lives in a constant state of confusion and grief. Just a year ago her husband was murdered in Manhattan. She descended into a mental breakdown, disappearing for several days, only to reappear in clothes she didn't even recognize without any memories of the days she was missing. The murder was never solved, and she has never regained the time she lost. Unless the things she sees in nightmares are memories. And now, someone is following her.....     What is real? And what is nightmare?

Wow! This book is dark, disturbing, emotional .... just a great psychological thriller. It was a bit confusing in places....but that's all part of the plot. Poppy is confused and afraid, so a bit of confusion on the reader's part just helps build the suspense. The author does a great job of portraying a woman living in a state of fear, confusion and the after-effects of a mental breakdown. She isn't sure what is reality and what is not. She wants to know the truth of what happened and where she was for the time she was missing.....but at the same time, she is afraid of the truth. The whole time I was reading, I was imaging what I would do in the same situation.....   Yikes! Quite disturbing! Very, very twisted! I had to take the trash out after dark while I was reading this book. I kept looking over my shoulder as if expected a dark, hooded figure to be lurking somewhere in the dark, watching and following me. I hurried back into the house...and kept reading!!

This is the first book by Lisa Unger that I have read. I have heard so many good things about her books that I was excited to read this one. I'm glad I did -- this book was well-written and extremely engrossing. I got sucked right into the story and just had to know what happened to Poppy and her husband. It quickly turned into a late night reading binge. I'm definitely going to read more by Lisa Unger! She has several other thrillers that sound like awesome reading, including The Sleep Tight Motel and The Whispering Hollows. Looks like there are many creepy nights of reading ahead for me!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Harlequin/Hanover Square Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment