Monday, October 22, 2018

REVIEW: The Devil's Fingers

The Devil's Fingers
Author: Hunter Shea

I admit it....I'm That Person...the one who starts decorating for Halloween on September 1st. I rush the season every year. And, I'm not sorry. Not one bit. It puts me in a mood for creepy, scary books! Fall is horror story season! I'm not waiting for the calendar to tell me it's time. For me, when my son goes back to school and temperatures start to ease off a bit...it's horror time! My newest go-to author for creepy awesomeness is Hunter Shea. So far, he has freaked me out with legendary stand-bys like the Jersey Devil, giant rats, and a creature in the woods....and now....killer fungus. Oh yeah....I'm always up for a Hunter Shea book!

In The Devil's Fingers, a strange fungus from Australia makes its way to America. It's red, has undulating slimy tentacles, and smells bad. If that doesn't recommend it enough....touching it is a very bad idea. Just ask the group of college kids who stumble across an entire meadow of Devil's Fingers while hiking in Washington State. Messing with the fungus changes them.....not that they weren't already fun-gis (fun guys. See what I did there? Yeah, I know....lame. But I had to do it!).

This book was complete joy for a cheesy horror junkie like me. Campy. Creepy. Perfect reading for an almost-fall, rainy day. I have to admit this -- I was sorta rooting for the fungus. A group of hikers in the forest run across a clearing filled with red tentacle fungus and one of them just has to F with it. There's always one in the bunch, right? So, they can't really whine when the fungus strikes back. Go Fungus! Slime everybody! 

I would love to see some of Hunter Shea's books made into movies. While I'm reading I always see the story playing out like a movie in my head anyway.....might as well be able to watch it in 4D HD on my TV.  For now, I will continue to enjoy his books....with hopes of seeing an adaptation in film some day.

This is a great book for any reader who loves cheesy horror.! At just over 100 pages, it's a quick horror fix.

Today's Lesson: While walking in the forest, do NOT touch any weird fungus tentacles that you might find. Walk on by....wave to bigfoot....do just about anything else. No touchie! (The actual fungus (see picture below) is not poisonous or dangerous.....it is even edible, but only as a last resort as it tastes and smells really bad.)

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. No fungus was touched, molested or groped in any way during the reading of this book. And yes...I do have my Halloween Deco out in September. Christmas comes out Nov. 1st. Don't judge me. :)**

The fungus described in this book is actually real....and creepy looking! It is slimy and it does stink, but alas....it doesn't create fungus monsters. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment