Monday, February 25, 2019

REVIEW: The Complete Keto Diet Cookbook for Beginners

The Complete Keto Diet for Beginners
Author: Charlie Stewart

I'm not really jumping on the keto diet bandwagon. I don't agree with the high percentage of fat in keto, but I do understand the diet has offered great benefits to some. I have to live on a limited diet for medical reasons....very little grain or "white" carbs, low/no sugar, high protein, etc. So keto cookbooks and tips go right along with what my doctors tell me to eat. So I collect recipes and read books on the keto lifestyle to help me maintain my limited eating plan without feeling deprived. Winning! I'm sorta glad the tide of diet hype has gone towards low carb/low sugar.....I don't feel like I'm forced to eat tasteless food. Many, many people are putting out guides and cookbooks that include all sorts of yummy, healthy stuff I can eat! Yay!!

***A note of caution -- I know we all see those disclaimers everywhere about consulting a doctor before going on a diet, exercise regimen, etc....   PLEASE consult your personal doctor BEFORE you try going on something like a controlled, extended keto diet. The state of being in ketosis can cause health issues for some -- kidney damage, extreme fatigue, etc.  Always use common sense....if a diet makes you feel bad/unhealthy then it might not be good for your body. Go see a doctor.....pick a plan that uses common sense, moderation and presents lots of information....and use local resources and trustworthy sites on the internet to learn more information. Knowledge is the key! Be informed before making big adjustments to eating/exercise. We all only get one body and one life.....be wise. That being said.....on to the review!**

I read this book cover to cover. Most people don't carefully read cookbooks....but I read every word of this one. I was checking for erroneous, possibly harmful statements or overstatements of the benefits of keto. While I'm not sure I agree that "the Ketogenic diet has been proven to be the ultimate long-term diet for any person,'' I didn't find any glaring mis-statements. My alarm bells didn't jangle.

The author offers an intro to keto, giving simplified, easy to understand explanations of what ketosis is, how it is achieved,and what it does. This book is geared to beginners. The author includes a long listing of foods that keto dieters can have and ones to avoid. The switch to keto can be quite daunting, difficult and confusing.....I can see how this book would help a newbie start the change-over. A list of "swaps'' or replacement foods is also included along with tips on how to get started and suggestions for eating out.

What took me years to learn when I was forced to change my diet after surgery can now be fast-forwarded with the help of books like this one! Can't live without rice with your stir fry? Make riced cauliflower -- when it's steamed and seasoned, even my husband can't tell the difference! Want pie? Make the crust from almond or coconut flour for less carbs. Little tips like that can be incredibly helpful to new dieters! Or medically restricted dieters. (A side note -- mashed cauliflower seasoned like mashed potatoes with a little gravy on top -- it is heaven! I went 8 years without having mashed potatoes. This past Thanksgiving I made cau-tatoes. It was amazing! The difference? Taken directly from this book: Mashed potatoes...1 cup serving 30g carbs. Mashed cauliflower...same serving....5g carbs. Magic!)

This book also includes a 21 day sample meal plan for those doing keto. It incorporates recipes from the book. So no desperately trying to find recipes and making out shopping lists. A beginner can try the sample meal plans....and make their shopping lists from the recipe pages. Easy peasy! Stress-free!

A majority of the book (which made me incredi-happy!) is filled with a variety of recipes. Starting with breakfasts and working its way to desserts, the recipe section offers a little bit of everything (even cookies!) I definitely have a lot of new recipes to experiment with! One thing I love about the recipes in this book -- they are SIMPLE! Every recipe is made with ingredients that are easy to find...no hunting through health food stores or being forced to order online. I didn't have to stop and google ingredients. Ever read through a cookbook and realized that you don't even know what half the ingredients are?? I hate that!! No hoity-toity stuff here -- just easy, simple, beginner friendly recipes made from ingredients available at any store. Hallelujah!

This book would be great for keto newbies and veterans alike because of the nice recipe section. I don't do keto, but love this book because the recipes are all things I can have on my medically restricted diet. Those on restricted diets, diabetics or others who need low carb/low sugar could benefit from this book, even if they aren't interested in keto!

Great book! I am happily cooking my way through the recipe section! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment