Tuesday, February 5, 2019

REVIEW: The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place
Author: C.J. Tudor

I really loved C.J. Tudor's debut novel, The Chalk Man, when it came out in 2018. That story really creeped me out, and I eagerly awaited this second novel. There are some similarities, but mostly this new book is different from The Chalk Man.

Both books have flashbacks from present day to the past. And both stories center around a group of kids/adults who went through a horrific event together, only to have a similar event happen when they are adults. But...where The Chalk Man was more of an exciting suspense thriller...The Hiding Place is more subtle. The story is more psychological with the truth drawn out more slowly. Just a bit revealed at a time. The Hiding Place is much more sneaky with its storytelling.

I'm not going to say anything about the plot....because....spoilers. The story is much more interesting going into it with very little prior knowledge. I liked the main character, Joe. He wants answers and is willing to do just about anything to find the information he needs. He is a deeply flawed character with a gambling problem and other deep-set issues, but he's also strong-minded and determined. Joe is the only character in the story that is well-developed. The rest of the cast are really just plot points necessary to the story only in their relation and interactions with Joe. But that's ok....they don't need to be fleshed out. Joe is the one the reader needs to know about. Joe....and The Event. The reason Joe came back to his hometown.

It's just a lovely, slow but steady, descent into creepyville. Several times the story caught me by surprise. I love it when that happens! Great story!

I will definitely be reading more by this author. Can't wait for the next book!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Crown Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment