Monday, February 18, 2019

REVIEW: Watcher in the Woods

Watcher in the Woods
Author: Kelley Armstrong

A few months ago, I accidentally requested a review copy of this book, not realizing it is book 4 in a series. So I started back at book one and read my way to Watcher in the Woods. I'm very glad I did! Not only did it introduce me to a new-to-me author, but this series has quickly become one of my favorites!

Rockton is a town in the middle of nowhere in the Canadian wilderness. It's not on any map. The city is hidden from airplanes flying overhead. And there is no electricity, no internet, very few conveniences. No cell phones. The residents there are effectively cut off....completely off the grid. On purpose. People go to Rockton to disappear, and pay a lot of money for the privilege. The corporation that funds the town and its security team take the secrecy and safety of Rockton seriously. That's why Casey Duncan and her boyfriend (Rockton's sheriff) are completely shocked when a U.S. Marshall shows up demanding to take one of the residents. He's secretive about who he has come for and why. Before he can elaborate, the marshal is shot dead, leaving Casey wondering if one of their residents might be much more dangerous than they know.

The characters in this series are just awesome. They all have a past or a significant flaw, but they all work together to make Rockton function. The corporation that funds the town is constantly causing problems by sending problematic residents, hiding important information or putting their bottom line above the safety of the town. Add in some rather violent people who live in the forest surrounding the town, and there's always some thrilling action and danger in each book. This newest book in the series is my favorite so far. There is some interesting character development in Watcher in the Woods, plus lots of suspense and action. Loved it! I'm eagerly awaiting the next book! I'm especially loving the addition of the dog!

Kelley Armstrong is the author of several series including Darkest Powers, Women of the Otherworld, Cainsville and Darkness Rising. While I'm waiting for another Rockton book, I will start reading her other books! Witches, ghosts, necromancers, vampires....her other series offer a lot of dark paranormal action. I look forward to it!

Full stars for Watcher in the Woods.....I love this series and thoroughly enjoyed this latest visit to Rockton. I saw an "in development'' blurb on IMDb for a Rockton television mini-series....so excited!! Please, please, please make the series! And....DO IT RIGHT. Armstrong has created strong characters and awesome plots....no weird changes necessary. Stick with the source material....it will be a kick ass mini-series. ("In development" also means that the project could be cancelled, changed, indefinitely delayed.....but I hope this gets produced! I love this series!)

I recommend reading this series in order because of character development and background information. The books will make more sense to readers if read in order.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from St. Martins Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment