Sunday, February 17, 2019

REVIEW: The Winter of the Witch

The Winter of the Witch
Author: Katherine Arden

The Winter of the Witch is the final book in the Winternight Trilogy.

I absolutely love this trilogy! The stories have the lyrical feel of old folk tales. I listened to the first two books on audio. It was like listening to an old wise woman read me a story. Enchanting! I read a digital ARC of this final book in the series. While I have to say I did miss the audio experience somewhat, the ending of this trilogy is so powerful and action-packed that I was totally swept away by the story.

There is a lot going on in this final piece of the story. This series really needs to be read in order to understand the characters and the plot. It isn't a series where a reader can jump in on the last book and be able to follow the plot.

Vasya learns so much about herself and her powers in The Winter of the Witch. A lot of things come full circle. She is such a strong character! I was a bit worried going into the final book that no conclusion to the story would be "enough.'' It took me awhile to work up the courage to read this final book....I didn't want the series to come to an end. Or maybe the correct statement is I didn't want this series to come to an unsatisfactory or disappointing end. Sometimes when I read a series that has characters and a magical story that I really love when I come to the end I'm just left feeling let down somehow....like there really wasn't a satisfactory way to make me feel okay about leaving the characters behind with an ending. I didn't feel that way at the end of The Winter of the Witch. I'm glad I finally took a deep breath and read this final book. This trilogy ends with understanding, power and magic. I closed the final book with a smile on my face.

I did purchase the audio book. And I'm going to enjoy the story again. This series just works better for me in audio format. I can imagine myself sitting on the floor in front of a stone fireplace listening to a wise woman telling me the lovely story of Vasya, who saved the world.

I will definitely be reading more by this author. I loved this series!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Random House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment