Wednesday, February 6, 2019

REVIEW: Wild Bill - The True Tale of the American Frontier's First Gunfighter

Wild Bill
Author: Tom Clavin

The Old West generated many tall tales about legendary characters...Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Kit Carson...all larger than life. Their stories are a mix of truth and exaggeration...and I love every single tale! But my favorite by far is Wild Bill Hickok.

Lawman. Gunfighter. Gambler. Showman. He did it all. And his legendary death at a card-table just made his story more spectacular.

I read Tom Clavin's bestselling book on Dodge City when it came out. And loved it. When I saw he was writing a book on Wild Bill, I knew I had to read it. The true story....the real Wild Bill....James Butler Hickok. Yay!

I read this book a little bit at time, not only to savor the experience but to give myself time to let the facts and information settle into my brain. I can binge read fiction....but non fiction about people I find interesting I have to slow down and mosey my way through it. I'm glad I took my time. This book has a lot of information in it...some that I already knew and a lot that was new to me. Clavin separates fact from legend...and presents Hickok as a person, not an exaggerated Old West character. A man...not a tale bigger than life.

Awesome read! As soon as I finished my review copy, I preordered the physical book for my husband. He loves the Old West with a capital L. LOVES it. He has Clavin's earlier book on Dodge City on his western bookshelf...along with Louis L'amour books and framed photos of Marshall Dillon and Festus Haggen. Old West fiction and truth side-by-side, as it has always been.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from St Martin's Press via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment