Thursday, February 28, 2019

REVIEW: Cyanide With Christie

Cyanide With Christie
Author: Katherine Bolger Hyde

Cyanide With Christie is the third book in the Crime With the Classics series. I have had this series on my TBR list for some time, but just never seemed to start it. Once I saw the newest title was an homage to Agatha Christie (my favorite author for 40+ years), I finally got with the program and started reading. So glad I did! I really enjoyed this book!

Although the background theme of a relative inheriting a huge house and lots of money from a dead relative is a bit of a trope in cozy mysteries, I like what Katherine Bolger Hyde did with it. Her MC, Emily, inherits a large victorian home from her aunt, plus nearly unlimited funds....so she decides to turn Windy Corner into a writers retreat center. The house has six newly remodeled rooms all centered around a different classic author. Dickens. Christie. Montgomery. Forster. Austen. Bronte. Dostoevsky.

I wish Windy Corner was real! I would definitely go write there! And I would ask for the Christie room, of course!

I loved how the plot set up like a Christie novel. A group of people invited to a stately manor. Bad weather comes in to trap them there. An uninvited guest...or a surprise of some sort...reveals that one guest is hated by all the others. Hated guest dies horribly. Everyone is a suspect. Cool twisty ending nobody sees coming. Neat ending for everyone else involved. Loved it! Nice Christiesque feel with a modern edge.

I have the other two books in this series -- Arsenic With Austen and Bloodstains with Bronte -- on my TBR shelf. I'm definitely going to backtrack a bit and start with book one. I'm going to read this series through from the start. It isn't necessary to read the books in order....I jumped in at #3 and was able to figure things out...but I'd like to get all the character and background development from books one and two, then re-read this third book.

All in all, a well-written and enjoyable mystery! I'm definitely going to be reading more by this author. I like her writing style and her characters.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Severn House via Netgalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment