Monday, February 18, 2019

REVIEW: Never Tell

Never Tell
Author: Lisa Gardner

16 years ago Detective D.D. Warren worked a murder case. A teenage girl arrested for shooting her father. Now, the same woman is a suspect in the shooting death of her husband. What happened? Did Evie Carter shoot her husband? Did she kill her father? Could she possibly get away with murder twice? And why does a former kidnapping victim recognize Evie's husband?

Oh my gosh...this is the most twisted story I've read in a long time! I couldn't put it down! Every time I thought I had it figured out, the plot zinged another direction. Great book!

I'm not going to say anything else about the actual plot -- no spoilers from me. Much better to go into it with as little info as possible.

Never Tell is the 10th book in the Detective D.D. Warren series. While I have read a short story in this series, this is the first book that I've read. I will definitely be reading more! A note of caution: for those who haven't read the earlier books in the series, this story does have some serious spoilers for Find Her (book #8). I'd recommend reading that book first....or go into this one realizing you will know the plot for that earlier book. Even without reading the earlier book, I was easily able to pick up the threads of the plot, characters and run with it. It's not necessary to have read the earlier stories to enjoy this one....just realize it's going to spoil the plot for at least one of them. As for me, I'm going  clear back to the beginning and starting at book one, Alone. I can tell I'm going to love this series! I like the characters. The little peeks into Det. Warren's home life give the story a bit of realism and humor on top the crime/thriller elements. Gardner's writing and story-telling are solid. This book kept my attention from start to finish.

This was a total binge read for me. I read late into the night because I couldn't put the book down! Any story that keeps me reading for hours deserves full stars -- full marks from me for this one!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Penguin via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment