Monday, March 11, 2019

REVIEW: American Princess

American Princess
Author: Stephanie Marie Thornton

Alice Roosevelt. Daughter of a president. Wife of a Congressman. Mistress to another. Media sensation. Outspoken. Strong-willed. An icon. She lived to the age of 96 and passed away having always lived life on her own terms, no matter what the cost. Sledding down the white house stairs on a lunch tray with her brothers. Smoking cigarettes on the roof of the white house. Her favorite color becoming a fashion sensation called Alice Blue. So many world leaders and dignitaries met. So many headlines. So many photographs. America's Princess. For 96 years. Now that is a life lived fully and well!

I didn't know much about Alice Roosevelt when I started reading this book based on her life. The more I read, the more I liked her. She refused to conform to the limited life that most women lived at the time. It created scandal and she had some embarrassing moments when her mouth got a bit ahead of her brain....but she was always 100% ALIVE and living all her moments to the fullest. Intelligent and Feisty with a capital F.

I'm glad I read this book and got to know about her life, her experiences, the triumphs and the sorrows. What a wonderful life she lived!



I'm definitely going to read more by this author. She's written several historical fiction books about women in history, including the women of Ghengis Khan, and the daughter of an Egyptian pharaoh.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Berkley via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment