Thursday, March 28, 2019

REVIEW: Avery Meets Chevy

Avery Meets Chevy
Author: Mary Hiker

Avery Barks works at Goodman's maintenance shop. She's the office manager, but her heart really lies in search and rescue. A year ago she lost her search & rescue dog, Jet. She's been mourning her dog ever since, especially at the holidays. As she investigates thefts of items from her cabin in the small NC mountain town where she lives, she also considers that it's finally time to get a new dog.....

What a cute intro to a cozy mystery series! Avery Meets Chevy is the beginning of the Avery Barks series. There are 10 books so far. Each is a short, quick read at under 100 pages. I can tell Chevy, the lovable golden retriever, is going to be a romping, cute fun part of this series.

I enjoy cozy mysteries because they give me a happy break from the heavier fiction I read. After an intense thriller or really creepy horror novel, I love to read something light, something fun....cute animals, a simple mystery....something non-threatening....just to clear my brain. I can tell this series is going to be a perfect palate cleanser after my next several intense reads. :) I can't wait to see what antics Avery and Chevy get into!

The mystery is very light in this intro story....but that's totally ok. The story was more about character introduction and setting the scene for the cozy series. The mystery was a little side jaunt. Cute ending! :) I had to suspend a bit of reality when it came to a pair of shoes....but it only caused a momentary feeling of disbelief. Then Chevy bounded through my mind....and I forgot all about it. :)

Loved this story. It gave me a happy bit of reading...nice break in my day! I already have book 1 of the Avery Barks series queued up on my Kindle. Ready to go!

Mary Hiker writes other cozy mysteries as well, including the Shady Springs Dog Mysteries and the Miss Fortune series.

I'm definitely going to be reading more books by this author. I'm a sucker for cute dog stories and cozy mysteries! :)

**I voluntarily read this short story after receiving a free copy from the author. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment