Friday, March 1, 2019

REVIEW: Cookin' the Books

Cookin' the Books
Author: Amy Patricia Meade

Letitia "Tish'' Tarragon is preparing to open her new business, a restaurant and catering business with a literary flair. Her first catering job is a last-minute one. She's hired to cater the Hobson Glen, VA annual library fundraiser. The caterer hired by director Binnie Broderick cancelled at the last minute. Tish has 3 weeks to plan and execute a 3-course meal and cocktails for 300+ guests. Turns out the meal executes the library director. Binnie Broderick drops dead, plopping face first into her plate of prime rib at the event. With her business and reputation on the line, Tish investigates to find out who offed the rude, unpopular library director.

This is a nice start to a new cozy mystery series. I like the characters and the background theme. I found myself wishing Cookin' the Books was a real restaurant! I love the idea of an eatery with a lending library on the front porch. Patrons can read while eating, and if they want to take the book home they can purchase it or leave a book on the shelf to replace it. Neat idea!! Some of the recipes and cakes described in the book sound so fun! I would love a catered dinner with courses like For Whom the Stuffed Bell Peppers Toll on the menu!! :)

The mystery moved along at a nice pace. There were plenty of quirky interesting characters and suspects. The ending wasn't a big surprise, but I liked that there was more to it than a melodramatic reveal and arrest scene. Cozies can get a bit tropey at the end sometimes....this one offered something a bit different.

I will definitely be reading more of this series! Amy Patricia Meade also writes the Marjorie McClelland series and several other books. I have her Rosie the Riveter mystery, Don't Die Under the Apple Tree, at the top of my TBR pile!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Severn House via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment