Sunday, March 17, 2019

REVIEW: The Last Year of the War

The Last Year of the War
Author: Susan Meissner

In 1943 when she was 13 years old, Elise Sontag was sent to an internment camp in Texas with her entire family. Her parents were born in Germany and despite 20 years in America, they were investigated and interred as possible Nazi sympathizers. It was the last year of World War II. Many of German, Japanese, and Italian descent were being forced into camps. Elise was born in America, but it didn't matter. She spent 18 months in the camp and then her entire family was sent to Germany. They were exchanged for American civilians and POWs. While in the camp, Elise became best friends with a Japanese girl, Mariko Hayashi. When Mariko's family was going back to Japan and Elise faced deportation to Germany, the two girls promised that after the war they would find each other again. They wouldn't see each other again for 60 years......

I never knew about the WW II internment camps in America until I reached college level history courses. All those years of history instruction in public school, and it was never mentioned once that Americans were detained. I can only imagine how frightening and traumatic it was for Americans to be forced into camps because of their foreign birth or ancestry. The Last Year of the War is both disturbing and joyful. Two girls find friendship amidst injustice, but are separated for decades by circumstances and the aftermath of war.

At times, I felt the plot moved a little too slow. Just as Elise was getting close to her reunion with Mariko, the story would jump back to the war era, prolonging the moment I was waiting for. I think my feelings were just pure impatience on my part. The girls waited 60 years to see each other again....you would think I could hang in there for 300 pages or so. When I finished the book and could think about the story as a whole, I realized that the slow build was necessary.

This is a beautiful and very emotional story. It not only shows the effects of war on children but also the lasting bonds of friendship. This is the first book by Susan Meissner that I have read. I like her writing style and storytelling. I will definitely be reading more of her books!

**I voluntarily read an advance readers copy of this book from Berkley via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment