Sunday, March 31, 2019

REVIEW: How Do You Know It's Winter?

How Do You Know It's Winter
Author: Ruth Owen

My local library just added several awesome children's books to its digital website. I'm always looking for great books to send to the grandkids, so I checked out a few. The cover of this book by Ruth Owen really caught my eye. How Do You Know It's Winter? is part of the Signs of the Seasons series.

Not only does this book have awesome full-color photos and artwork on each page, but it also includes classroom or homeschool activities and a science lab section. Geared for elementary age students, I can see this book being a great supplement for weather related science lessons for kindergarten through second graders. The book includes common core requirements like a list of keywords, an index, suggested booklist and an informational weblink. I homeschooled my youngest son for three years in elementary school and I would have loved this book! Lessons that combined information with outdoor activities always helped my son learn and retain his lesson work, and added fun to our school day.

This book could also be read at home by parents, with the addition of some fun, outside activities like tracking morning temperatures and sunset times, or taking a walk to see how winter changes the landscape.

Awesome book! Very colorful and inviting, plus great activities for school or home.

No comments:

Post a Comment